Tuesday, October 13, 2015

SKIF 1/35 MT-LB with ZU-23-2

About a year ago I ran into a Ukrainian online hobby store - http://www.hobby.dn.ua/ - with very attractive prices (they've updated them, unfortunately, but you can still find god bargains there for Ukrainian and Russian models). At the time I grabbed myself two kits from UM - a sweet 1/48 combo of the Yak-1b and GAZ-AA field starter plus a GAZ-AAA based fuel truck BZ-38 - and two kits from SKIF - 1/35 BTR-152 and MT-LB with ZU-23-2.


 What I like about SKIF models is their robustness (you can run with them around the room making "Wrrrrrrr" sounds when nobody looks), but also their general adherence to the geometry of the prototype. Still, both SKIF kits that I've built had a fatal flaw, something that absolutely had to be replaced by aftermarket. With this MT-LB I had to buy wheels from MasterClub and tracks from Trumpeter. And of course, if you want an interesting model, you need to add a lot of details. I didn't plan to build a contest-quality model, but wanted it to look a bit more attractive.


Here is the MT-LB ready for priming. I cut open front windows and added a bunch of small bits and pieces. The interior (which is very basic) was already painted and weathered by this time.


Some of the PE came with the kit, but things like fenders and older type lights with grilles had to be made from scratch.


Few welding seams were added. Note the spare Trumpeter tracks attached by Meng nuts. Older type tail lights were scratch built. Cowardly, I decided to omit rear fenders, elaborate contraptions used to guide the water while the machine was swimming.

While the MT-LB was of reasonable quality (except for wheels and tracks that are completely unusable), the ZU-23-2 was a total disaster.


Given very nice Trumpeter and Meng models of this artillery piece my intention to turn the SKIF's one into a model was a tribute to my cheapness. No aftermarket had been used for this model: all white, brass and copper pieces were added by me.



I couldn't find any info regarding the attachment of the ZU-23-2 to the MT-LB. Some modelers use the wire, but I haven't seen any photos to support this.

Overall, it was an interesting experiment. I enjoyed it, and look forward to the BTR-152!










No comments:

Post a Comment